(until 1940, Ostiako-Vogul’sk), a city and river port and the administrative center of Khanty-Mansi Autonomous Okrug (formerly Khanty-Mansi National Okrug), Tiumen’ Oblast, RSFSR; situated on the Irtysh River, 15 km from its confluence with the Ob’. Population, 26,000 (1974).
Khanty-Mansiisk was founded in 1931 as a workers’ settlement and the administrative center of a national okrug. It became part of Omsk Oblast in 1934 and Tiumen’ Oblast in 1944. In 1950 it was made a city; the new city included the neighboring village of Samarovo, which has been known since the 16th century and which became part of Tobol’sk Province in 1708.
The economy of Khanty-Mansiisk is based on the fishing industry; the city’s chief industrial enterprise is a fish-canning combine. The city also has the Khantymansiiskles Combine, a poultry farm, and an experimental station of the Agricultural Research Institute of the Northern Trans-Ural Region. Khanty-Mansiisk has a pedagogical school, a medical school, and a museum of local lore.