Kharukhain-Balgas

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kharukhain-Balgas

 

the ruins of a fortified Uighur town of the tenth to 13th centuries, located on the Kharukh River, west of the settlement of Khadasan in the south of the Selenga Aimak of the Mongolian People’s Republic. The ruins were described by D. A. Klements in 1891. S. V. Kiselev headed excavations by a joint Soviet-Mongol expedition in 1949. The town, measuring 0.5 by 0.5 km, was surrounded by irrigated farmlands. Later, probably in the 16th century, a Buddhist monastery arose on the site of the town. The massive, well-preserved buildings were constructed of slabs without mortar.

REFERENCE

Kiselev, S. V. “Drevnie goroda Mongolii.” Sovetskaia arkheologiia, 1957, no. 2.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.