Khirbat al-Mafjar

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Khirbat al-Mafjar

 

an Omayyad castle in Jordan. Khirbat al-Mafjar, situated north of Jericho, dates from the second quarter of the eighth century. Now in ruins, it originally was a typical fortified Omayyad castle, with a square courtyard enclosed by a gallery and stone two-story dwelling quarters with brick vaults. The castle is joined on the north by a court with a mosque and bathhouse, and on the east by a large inner courtyard. The interiors are ornamented with sculpture of painted stucco, floor mosaics, and carved stone and stucco.

REFERENCE

Hamilton, R. W. Khirbat al Mafjar. Oxford, 1959.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
The ruins of Hisham's Palace, built during the Umayyad Empire, stand on 60 hectares in Khirbat al-Mafjar, west of the Jordan Valley and 260 meters below sea level.
The ruins of Hisham's Place, built during the Ummayad empire, stand on 60 hectares in Khirbat al-Mafjar, west of the Jordan Valley and 260 meters below sea level.
(65) Robert Hamilton has located this ingenious wine-bath at Khirbat al-Mafjar, a palace in the Jordan valley, providing solid archeological evidence to support this spectacular story.
(66.) Hamilton, Walid, 13-46; idem, "Who Built Khirbat al-Mafjar?" Levant 1 (1969): 61-67; idem, "Khirbat al-Mafjar: The Bath Hall Reconsidered," Levant 10 (1978): 126-38.