Also found in: Wikipedia.
Kholmogory(khŭl'məgô`rē), village, NW European Russia, SE of Arkhangelsk and at the mouth of the Northern Dvina River. Known since 1355, Kholmogory was a major trade center for Novgorod merchants in the 15th and 16th cent. and became a shipping and cattle raising center in the 18th cent. Its significance declined with the rise of Arkhangelsk.
a village and administrative center of Kholmogory Raion, Arkhangel’sk Oblast, RSFSR. Landing on the Severnaia Dvina River (on the Kuropolka channel), 75 km southeast of Arkhangel’sk. Kholmogory is the site of the Kholmogory State Pedigree Stock Farm, a dairy combine, and a logging and timber distribution establishment. A livestock technicum is located in the village.
Kholmogory was known in the 14th century as Kolmogory; at this time it was a trade base between Novgorod and the North. In the 15th and 16th centuries it was a large trade center; the English Muscovy Company conducted business through Kolmogory beginning in 1554. In 1613 the ostrog (fortified settlement) of Kolmogory withstood a siege by Polish and Swedish interventionists. The settlement was first called Kholmogory in 1692. It became the suburb of Arkhangel’sk in 1707 and the district center of Arkhangel’sk Province in 1780. Kholmogory has long been a center for the production of articles of carved ivory. It became the administrative center of a raion in Arkhangel’sk Oblast in 1929.
M. V. Lomonosov was born near Kholmogory, in the village of Mishaninskaia (known in the 19th century as Denisovka and currently as the village of Lomonosovo).