Kielce


Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.

Kielce

(kyĕl`tsĕ), city (1993 est. pop. 215,300), capital of Świętokrzyskie prov., S central Poland. It is a railway junction and manufacturing center where metals, machinery, and foodstuffs are produced. It also has marble quarries. Founded in 1173, Kielce obtained municipal rights in the 14th cent. It belonged to the bishops of Kraków until 1789. The city passed to Austria in 1795 and to Russia in 1815 and reverted to Poland in 1919. By the late 1930s, most of the city's Jewish population had been deported to German-run concentration camps. Four such camps were located in Kielce during World War II. In 1946, Jews returning to Poland after the war were massacred there. Its most notable buildings are a 12th-century cathedral and a 17th-century palace.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kielce

 

a city in Poland and the administrative center of Kielce Województwo. Population, 129,000 (1971). Kielce is a railroad junction and an industrial center with a large machine-building industry, producing chemical-industry equipment, fittings for steam power plants, bearings, and motor-vehicle parts. Among the city’s educational institutions are higher engineering and agricultural schools (the latter a branch of the Lublin Agricultural School) and a pedagogical institute. Kielce was founded in the 12th century.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Kielce

an industrial city in S Poland. Pop.: 212 383 (1999 est.)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
References in periodicals archive ?
21 March 2011 - Fitch confirmed on Friday the long-term foreign and local currency ratings of BBB- and national long-term A-(pol) rating of Poland's southeastern city of Kielce.