Kiev Medical Institute

Kiev Medical Institute

 

(Academician A. A. Bogomo-lets Kiev Medical Institute), a medical institute that traces its history back to 1841, when a department of medicine was established at Kiev University; the department was reorganized in 1920 as an independent medical institute.

As of 1972, the Academician A. A. Bogomolets Kiev Medical Institute offered departments of clinical medicine, sanitary hygiene, pediatrics, and stomatology; a department specializing in upgrading the qualifications of teachers at medical schools; an evening division; a graduate program; 62 theoretical and clinical subdepartments; a central research laboratory; 37 clinical outlets; museums of anatomy, histology and embryology, and biology; and a library with holdings of more than 540,000.

In 1972 the insitute had an enrollment of more than 6,000 students and a staff of more than 750 teachers, including seven academicians and corresponding members of the Academy of Medical Sciences of the USSR and the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR, 93 professors and doctors of sciences, and more than 450 candidates of sciences. The institute has been granted the right to confer both the doctoral and the candidate’s degree. Since its opening, the institute has trained more than 40,000 physicians, more than 35,000 of which were enrolled during the years of Soviet power. The institute has published Sbornik nauchnykh trudov (Collected Scientific Works) since 1956. The institute took the name of Academician A. A. Bogomolets in 1946.

The Kiev Medical Institute was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in 1944.

S. S. LAVRIK

References in periodicals archive ?
from the Ross University School of Medicine and began his medical education at the Kiev Medical Institute.
Yuriv Gladkikh, a graduate of the Kiev Medical Institute of A.