Kiev Pedagogical Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kiev Pedagogical Institute

 

(full name, A. M. Gorky Kiev Pedagogical Institute), founded in 1920 as the department of social education of the Kiev Institute of Public Education. In 1930 it was reorganized as the Institute of Social Education, and in 1933 it was renamed the Kiev Pedagogical Institute. Since 1936 it has been called the A. M. Gorky Kiev Pedagogical Institute.

The institute has (1972) departments of physics and mathematics, natural science and geography, philology, history, pedagogy, music instruction, and defectology; correspondence and preparatory divisions; a graduate school; 23 research and teaching laboratories in various fields; and a library with about 700,000 holdings.

In 1972 the institute had an enrollment of 6,500 students and a faculty of about 325, including six academicians of the Academy of Pedagogical Sciences of the USSR and corresponding members of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR, 20 professors and doctors of sciences, and about 200 docents and candidates of sciences. The institute has been granted the right to confer doctoral and candidates’ degrees. Since its foundation the institute has trained more than 30,000 teachers. In 1939 it began publishing Nauchnye zapiski (Scholarly Transactions), and since 1964 it has issued various collections jointly with other higher educational institutions.

A. K. ROMANOVSKII

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.