Klavdii Borisovich Ptitsa
Ptitsa, Klavdii Borisovich
Born Jan. 21 (Feb. 3), 1911, in the village of Pronsk, present-day Riazan’ Oblast. Soviet choir conductor. People’s Artist of the USSR (1966).
In 1937, Ptitsa graduated from the choir department of the Moscow Conservatory. From 1936 to 1938 he directed the choir of the conservatory’s opera studio, and from 1938 to 1941 the choir of the Moscow Philharmonic Society’s opera studio. He served as choirmaster of the State Choir of Russian Song (later, the State Choir of the USSR) from 1943 to 1946. Named artistic director of the Bol’shoi Choir of the All-Union Radio in 1950, Ptitsa prepared for presentation many operas, oratorios, cantatas and choruses by classical and contemporary composers.
From 1938 to 1941, Ptitsa taught at the Moscow Conservatory. Resuming his teaching duties there in 1943, he became a professor in 1956, and since 1960 he has been head of the subdepartment of choral conducting. He was also the founder and dean of the department of choral conducting at Gnesin’s State Music Pedagogic Institute (1946–60).
Ptitsa is the author of many books and articles, including Essays on the Technique of Choral Conducting (1948) and Masters of Choral Art at the Moscow Conservatory (1970). He has been awarded two orders, as well as various medals.