Klavdiia Semenovna Kobizeva
Kobizeva, Klavdiia Semenovna
Born Mar. 1 (14), 1905, in Kishinev. Soviet sculptor. People’s Artist of the Moldavian SSR (1965).
Kobizeva studied under A. M. Plamadiala at the Kishinev School of Art from 1926 to 1931, at the Academy of Arts in Brussels from 1931 to 1934, and at the workshop of C. Medrea in Bucharest from 1934 to 1936. Beginning in 1936 she worked in Moldavia. Kobizeva portrayed the women of Soviet Moldavia, glorified working people, and appealed for peace. Her works include The Head of a Moldavian Woman (wood, 1947), The Woodcutter (plaster of paris, 1962), Let There Be Peace Forever! (plaster of paris, 1965), and the relief On Liberated Land (plaster of paris, 1967; State Prize of the Moldavian SSR, 1968)—all are in the Art Museum of the Moldavian SSR in Kishinev. Kobizeva also created the sculptural group The Gifts of Moldavia (bronze, 1959), which is in Tiraspol’. She has been awarded two orders.