Kochar, Gevorg Barsegovich
Born Sept. 5 (18), 1901, in Tbilisi; died Feb. 18, 1973, in Yerevan. Soviet architect. Honored Architect of the Armenian SSR (1968). Became a member of the CPSU in 1927.
Kochar studied in Moscow at Vkhutemas (State Higher Arts and Technical Studios) from 1920 to 1926 and at Vkhutein (Higher Art and Technical Institute) from 1926 to 1929. He taught at the Karl Marx Polytechnic Institute in Yerevan from 1932 to 1937. Between 1939 and 1960, Kochar worked in Krasnoiarsk Krai, serving as the chief architect of Krasnoiarsk from 1955 to 1960. He was the chief architect of the Yerevan Project Institute between 1960 and 1973.
Kochar’s works include the city soviet building in Leninakan (1932-35), an administrative building on Nalbandian Street in Yerevan (1935), a 1,400-seat theater in Yerevan (1935), and a dormitory for the Yerevan Zoo Veterinary Institute (1933-37). In Nori’sk he designed residential building buildings an airport terminal (1946), a communications building (1946), and an administration building (1950). Kochar also worked on the reconstruction of the A. S. Pushkin Dramatic Theater in Krasnoiarsk (1952-53). During the 1960’s he built dormitories and residential buildings in the Nor-Zeitun section of Yerevan, a hospital in Dilizhan, and a boardinghouse on the Sevan Peninsula in the Armenian SSR. He was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor and several medals.