a territorial-tribal union of the Khanty in Western Siberia, along the lower course of the Ob. It was known to the Russians in the 15th century as part of the Ugrian land. In 1484 the Koda Principality recognized its vassalage to the Russian state and agreed to pay tribute in money collected from its subject population. The Koda “princes,” the Alychevs (or Alachevs), furthered the Russian colonization of Siberia. In the 17th century, the autonomy of the Koda Principality was abolished and it was put on the same footing as the other districts in the Ugrian land.
REFERENCESIstoriia Sibiri s drevneishikh vremen do nashikh dnei. Leningrad, 1968. Vol. 1, p. 369; vol. 2, pp. 95, 142.
Narody Sibiri. Moscow-Leningrad, 1956.