Also found in: Wikipedia.
an urban-type settlement in Stučka Raion, Latvian SSR, located at the confluence of the Pērse and Daugava rivers. Railroad station on the Riga-Rēzekne line, 102 km southeast of Riga. Koknese has a logging and timber distribution establishment.
Archaeological excavations conducted by A. Ia. Stubavs in 1961–66 revealed that a fortified settlement already existed on the site of Koknese in the first millennium B.C. The most significant finds date from the 11th to the 13th century (remains of timber-frame buildings, tools, weapons, ornaments). During this period, close political and economic ties existed between Koknese (Latgali, Sēli, and Russians) and Polotsk. At the beginning of the 13th century, the residence of the Russian prince Viachko, who was subject to the grand prince of Polotsk, was located in Koknese. The ruins of a castle have been preserved. (It was made of white limestone; the foundation was laid at the beginning of the 13th century; the castle was rebuilt in the 17th century and destroyed by Polish troops in 1701.) There is a spacious park next to the castle. Koknese is a popular tourist and vacation spot. P. Stučka (Stuchka) was born on the country estate of Vecbirznickos near Koknese.