an ancient Russian feudal city-castle of the 12th-13th century, on the Sluch’ River, near the present-day village of Kolodiazhnoe, Dzerzhinsk Raion, Zhitomir Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Part of the system of city-fortresses that protected Rus’ from the nomads, Kolodiazhin was destroyed by the Tatars in 1241. Archaeological excavations conducted between 1948 and 1953 revealed the scorched remains of 22 timber-frame dwellings, outbuildings, and artisan workshops adjoining a defensive earthen bank. Sixteen dwellings dug partly into the ground were found in an area adjacent to the town site. Skeletons of those who died in defense of the city have been discovered. Other items found include numerous tools, artisan’s instruments, weapons, ornaments, and religious objects as well as charred supplies of grains and industrial crops (rye, wheat, barley, oats, millet, peas).
REFERENCESGoncharov, V. K. “Drevnii Kolodiazhin.” In the collection Kratkie soobshcheniia In-ta istorii material’noi kul’tury AN SSSR, 1951, no. 41.
Honcharov, V. K. “Roboty Volyns’koï ekspedytsiï, 1948 r.” In the collection Arkheolohichni pam’iatky URSR, vol. 3. Kiev, 1952.