the theoretical and political journal of the Central Committee of the CPSU; created by a resolution of the Organizational Bureau of the Central Committee of the RCP(Bolshevik) on Nov. 19, 1923. The first issue came out on Apr. 5, 1924. Until November 1952 the journal was called Bol’shevik.
Kommunist propagandizes and creatively develops Marxist-Leninist doctrine, fights to put the party’s general line into practice, and works for the construction of a communist society in the USSR. By elaborating the Leninist theoretical legacy, the journal helps to reveal its international character and its constantly increasing influence on the world revolutionary process. Since it was first published, Kommunist has printed more than 100 of Lenin’s virtually unknown or previously unpublished works, letters, and documents, as well as many works by Marx and Engels—either unknown ones or works translated into Russian for the first time. The journal systematically prints the most important documents of the CPSU and the international communist movement.
Kommunist extensively treats questions of Marxist-Leninist philosophy, political economy, the specific economics of industry and agriculture, the theory and practice of party organization, history, culture, and art. It provides theoretical elaborations of the problems of the international communist, workers’, and national liberation movements and exposes reactionary bourgeois ideology, “left-wing” and “right-wing” opportunism, revisionism, and dogmatism. Contributors to the journal include leading figures in the CPSU and fraternal parties, party, soviet, trade-union, and Komsomol workers, scholars, people engaged directly in production, cultural figures, artists, writers, and journalists. In addition to articles, Kommunist publishes critical bibliographical surveys and reviews, transactions of scholarly symposiums, and letters from readers.
Kommunist is intended for activists in party, soviet, economic, and scientific work, as well as for instructors, postgraduates, and students at higher educational institutions and broad circles of the Soviet intelligentsia. It is issued 18 times a year and has a circulation of more than 900,000 (1973).
M. G. CHEPIKOV
The central committees of the Communist parties of the Union republics publish monthly journals. Kommunist, the journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Lithuania, has been published in Lithuanian since 1918 and in Russian since 1946. The journal of the party Central Committee of Kirghizia (Kommunist) has been published in Kirghiz since 1926 and in Russian since 1957. Kommunist Azerbaidzhana has been published in Azerbaijani since 1939. Published in Byelorussian since 1927 and in Russian since 1949, Kommunist Belorussii is the journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Byelorussia. Kommunist Gruzii has come out in Georgian since 1930, and Kommunist Kazakhstana has been issued in Kazakh since 1921. In Moldavia the party Central Committee has published Kommunist Moldavii in Moldavian and Russian since 1956. Kommunist Sovetskoi Latvii, the journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Latvia, has been published in Latvian and Russian since 1945, and Kommunist Tadzhikistana has come out in Tadzhik since 1936.
In Turkmenistan Kommunist Turkmenistana has been published in Turkoman since 1925 and in Russian since 1953. Kommunist Uzbekistana, the journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Uzbekistan, has been published in Uzbek since 1925 and in Russian since 1960. Published in Ukrainian since 1925 and in Russian since 1950, Kommunist Ukrainy is the journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Ukraine. Kommunist Estonii has been published in Estonian since 1945 and in Russian since 1951. The journal of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Armenia is Po leninskomuputi (Along the Leninist Path), which has been published in Armenian since 1923.
republic-wide newspaper of the Armenian SSR, published in Russian. Founded in 1934. It is published six times a week in Yerevan. Circulation, 45,000 (1972).
republic-wide newspaper of the Azerbaijan SSR, published in Armenian. It was founded on May 18, 1920, and was the first Soviet party newspaper of the Transcaucasus to be published in Armenian. It is published six times a week in Baku. In 1970 the paper was awarded the order of the Red Banner of Labor in connection with the 50th anniversary of the publication of the first issue. Circulation, 40,000 (1973).
republic-wide daily newspaper of the Azerbaijan SSR, published in Azerbaijani. Place of publication, Baku. The first issue came out illegally on Aug. 29, 1919, during a period of Musavatist terror and the invasion of Azerbaijan by foreign interventionists. In 1923 the paper was awarded the republic’s Order of the Red Banner of Labor by a resolution of the Central Executive Committee of the Azerbaijan SSR. In 1969 the paper was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor in connection with the 50th anniversary of the publication of the first issue. Circulation, 400,000 (1972).
Lezghin-language republic-wide newspaper of the Dagestan ASSR. Published in Makhachkala three times a week. It was founded under the name Tsiii diun ’ia (New World) in 1928, thereby initiating the development of national Lezghin journalism. The name of the newspaper has been changed several times. It has been published as Kommunist since February 1957. Circulation, 20,000 (1973).