Kondrovo

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Kondrovo

 

a city (since 1938), the administrative center of Dzerzhinskii Raion, Kaluga Oblast, RSFSR. Located on the Shania River (Oka Basin), 3 km from the Govardovo railroad station (on the Kaluga-Viaz’ma line) and 45 km northwest of Kaluga. Population, 16,000 (1970). In 1790 a paper factory was constructed there, which after the establishment of Soviet power was the basis for the creation of a paper and pulp mill. The city has light industry, an evening technicum of the paper and pulp industry, and a pedagogical school.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.