Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Košice(kô`shĭtsĕ), Ger. Kaschau, Hung. Kassa, city (1991 pop. 235,160), E Slovakia. It is a major industrial center and transportation hub and a market for the surrounding agricultural area. The city's industries include food processing, brewing and distilling, and the manufacture of machinery, cement, and ceramics. A petroleum refinery and a modern iron and steel center are in nearby Huko.
Originally a fortress town, Košice was chartered in 1241 and became an important trade center during the Middle Ages. It was frequently occupied by Austrian, Hungarian, and Turkish forces. By the Treaty of Trianon (1920) the city passed from Hungary to Czechoslovakia. Košice's most notable historic buildings are the Gothic Cathedral of St. Elizabeth (14th–15th cent.), the 14th-century Franciscan monastery and church, and an 18th-century town hall. The city also has a university and several cultural institutions.
a city in Czechoslovakia, in the Slovak Socialist Republic; administrative center of the region of East Slovakia. Located in the Hornád (Hernád) River valley, in the foothills of the Slovak Ore Mountains. Population, 152,000 (1971); the second most populous city in Czechoslovakia. It is a transportation junction and a center of ferrous metallurgy. Industries include heavy machinery, magnesite, food, garments, and wood products. The city has a university.
Košice has an outstanding monument of Slovak Gothic architecture, the Cathedral of St. Elizabeth (1382-1499), with rich stone carvings, as well as the Gothic chapel of St. Michael (second half of the 14th century), a Dominican church and monastery (14th to 18th centuries), a baroque city hall (1756), and palaces and public buildings in the classical style. Large-scale construction apartment buildings began in the late 1940’s. The city also houses the Museum of East Slovakia.