(present-day Suvorovo), a village in Bulgaria, 30 km northwest of the city of Varna.
During the Russo-Turkish war of 1768–74, the Russian corps of A. V. Suvorov and M. F. Kamenskii, totaling 25,000 men, defeated the Turkish troops of Abdul-Rezak, about 40,000 men strong, near Kozludzha on June 9 (20), 1774. Following the plan of the commander in chief, General P. A. Rumiantsev, Suvorov’s and Kamenskii’s corps crossed the Danube and united at the village of Iushenlu, 6 km east of Kozludzha, on June 8(19). The Turkish troops were deployed in a camp near Kozludzha. In the morning of June 9 (20) Suvorov’s corps, under the cover of calvary, left Iushenlu and attacked the enemy with the support of Kamenskii’s corps. Defeated, the Turks fled to Shumla, leaving 29 guns on the battlefield. The victory at Kozludzha opened the road to Shumla, the headquarters of the grand vizier. Lacking the forces to continue the war, the grand vizier signed the Treaty of Kuchuk Kainarji on July 10 (21), 1774.