Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city, adminstrative center of Krasnoslobodsk Raion, Mordovian ASSR. Situated on the left bank of the Moksha River (Oka Basin), 52 km north of the Kovylkino railroad station on the Riazan’-Syzran’ line and 112 km west of Saransk, with which it is linked by automobile routes.
Krasnoslobodsk first appeared in historical sources in the early 17th century under the name Krasnaia Sloboda. At the time it was a fortified outpost against the Kazan Khanate. In 1708 the city was included in Azov Province, and in 1719, Shatskii Province. From 1780, Krasnoslobodsk was a district capital in the Penza Vicegerency, which became Penza Province in 1801.
Krasnoslobodsk has a spinning and weaving factory, a cannery, a hemp-processing plant, and a butter and cheese plant. It is the site of the Promsviaz’ Plant, which manufactures rectifiers for rural automatic exchanges. There are veterinary and agricultural technicums and a medical school in Krasnoslobodsk. It has a museum of local lore.
a city (until 1955, the settlement of Krasnaia Sloboda) in Sredneakhtubinsk Raion, Volgograd Oblast, RSFSR, situated on the left bank of the Volga, across from Volgograd. Population, 18,800 (1972). It has a shipyard and a fish cannery. An experimental station of the All-Union Institute of Horticulture is located in Krasnoslobodsk.