formed on the Dnieper River by the dam of the Kremenchug Hydroelectric Power Plant, in Poltava, Kirovograd, and Cherkassy oblasts, Ukrainian SSR. The reservoir was filled during 1959–61. Area, 2,250 sq km; volume, 13.5 cu km; length, 185 km; greatest width, 30 km; average depth, 6 m. The water level fluctuates within a range of 5 m.
The Kremenchug Reservoir makes possible seasonal regulation of drainage; it helped to raise the power output of the Dneprodzerzhinsk, Dnieper, and Kakhovka hydroelectric power plants by 700 million kilowatt-hours. A deep-water route from Kremenchug to Kanev has been created. Broad possibilities for irrigating the dry regions of the southern Ukraine, including the northern Crimea, have opened up. There is fishing for bream, wild carp, pike-perch, and pike. The cities of Svetlovodsk, Cherkassy, and Kanev are on the shores of the reservoir.