Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city, the administrative center of Krolevets Raion, Sumy Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. Located on the Ret’ River (Desna Basin). Population, 18,500 (1970). Krolevets has a railroad station on the Khutor-Mikhailovskii-Konotop line. Fittings and reinforcements, building materials, repair, hemp-processing, and fruit-canning plants, a creamery, and baguette and artistic weaving factories are located in the city. There is also a peat enterprise.
Krolevets was supposedly founded in 1601; it was first mentioned as a povet city (a district center in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania) in 1638. Under B. Khmel’nitskii it was the headquarters for the Nezhin Regiment. In 1654 it went over to Russia. In 1782, Krolevets became the chief district city of the NovgorodSeverskii vicegerency and in 1802 of Chernigov Province.