two treasure troves of ancient copper and bronze objects discovered in 1939 and 1946 at the village of Kvishari, Ambrolauri Raion, Georgian SSR.
The first Kvishari treasure dates from the second half of the second millennium B.C. It consisted of 16 copper axes with hollow butts and lamellar blades. The axes could not have been used as a practical tool, and it is supposed that they were imitations prepared as a sacrifice to the thunder deity. The site where the treasure was found, near a huge boulder, is considered to be the most ancient sanctuary in the Caucasus. The second Kvishari treasure was buried at the beginning of the first millennium B.C. It consisted of 25 bronze objects, including axes, bracelets, and bronze ingots, which were stored in a large clay vessel.