French daily newspaper and central organ of the French Communist Party (FCP); published in Paris.
L’Humanité was founded in 1904. The first issue came out on Apr. 18, 1904. In 1911 the newspaper became the organ of the French Section of the Workers’ International. After the founding of the FCP (December 1920), the paper was the organ of the Communist Party. On Feb. 8, 1923, it was officially declared the central organ of the FCP. In World War II, L’Humanité was outlawed (Aug. 25, 1939); it was published underground from Oct. 26, 1939, to Aug. 16, 1944, and resumed legal publication on Aug. 21, 1944.
L’Humanité changed its format on Jan. 24, 1977; 800,000 copies were printed on that day. The usual circulation is from 200,000 to 250,000 (1981). The newspaper’s Sunday edition, L’Humanité Dimanche, has a circulation of nearly 500,000. The newspaper’s political director was J. Jaurés until 1914, M. Cachin from 1918 to 1958, E. Fajon from 1958 to 1974, and R. Leroy from 1974. P. Vaillant-Couturier was editor in chief from 1926 to 1937, followed by G. Cogniot from 1937 to 1949, A. Stil from 1950 to 1959, and R. Andrieu from 1959.
L’Humanité holds annual celebrations, which are attended by the great mass of the working people and by delegations from the central organs of the Communist parties of many countries, including the newspaper Pravda.