a village in southern France, 40 km southeast of the city of Brive (Corrèze Department). In a grotto on a hillside near the village, remains of Paleolithic sites were found in 1908; the sites contained the bones of the woolly rhinoceros, reindeer, and bison, as well as numerous flint side-scrapers and triangular points. Also uncovered was a well-preserved Neanderthal burial of the same epoch: a man lying in the bottom of a small depression, in a sleeping position with his legs drawn up. The man belonged to the group of western European, or classic, Neanderthals (called the Chapellites).
REFERENCESZamiatnin, S. N. Ocherki po paleolitu. Moscow-Leningrad, 1961.
Roginskii, la. Ia., and M. G. Levin. Antropologiia, 2nd ed. Moscow, 1963.