Labor Bank

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Labor Bank


(trade union bank), in capitalist countries, a bank whose capital belongs to trade unions and cooperative societies. The first labor banks were established in the 1920’s to protect trade union capital against devaluation and give credit support to workers’ organizations. During the world economic crisis of 1929–33 many labor banks went bankrupt. After World War II labor banks were reopened in some countries.

During the 1960’s and early 1970’s, labor banks developed to the greatest extent in the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG) and in Austria. The Bank für Gemeinwirtschaft (Collective Economy Bank), which operates in the FRG, was formed after six labor banks merged in late 1958 and were joined in 1964 by the Bank für Wirtschaft und Arbeit (Bank for Economy and Labor) in West Berlin. The Council of Trade Unions owns 75 percent of the stock, with the Council of Consumer Cooperative Societies owning the remaining 25 percent. The bank was ninth in the country in terms of assets in 1973. It performs all the operations of a commercial bank and participates in the capital of roughly 30 banks in the country and abroad. The Austrian labor bank, the Bank für Arbeit und Wirtschaft (Bank for Labor and Economy), was third in the country in terms of assets in 1973; its stockholders are the Federation of Trade Unions and the consumer cooperative system.

Present-day labor banks have become general-purpose banks; the trade union capital mobilized through these banks is used in large part to grant credit for capitalist enterprises.

E. D. Zolotarenko

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
The 16-story 26 Journal Square was built in 1927 and was originally known as the Labor Bank Building.
Global Banking News-December 5, 2014--United Labor Bank changes name to United Business Bank
KATMANDU (CyHAN)- The Nepal government is all set to establish a labor bank by the end of October to provide easy financing options to migrant workers and their dependent families, officials said on Friday.
The acquisition will help First ULB, a holding company for United Labor Bank, boost its presence in the West, the buyer's president Malcolm F Hotchkiss said in a statement.
First ULB Corp is the corporate parent of United Labor Bank.
"MENA countries can leverage India's huge skilled and semi-skilled labor bank. Increased knowledge transfer (both in terms of technology transfer and labor exchange) from India could help MENA achieve its goal of becoming a knowledge enterprise.
Under his leadership, the union opened a labor bank so that workers' money would help them rather than support business interests; it built the first union-sponsored cooperative housing; and it created the first unemployment insurance program," the release said.
First ULB Corp (OTC: PINK: FUBP), the parent of United Labor Bank, FSB, has said that it has completed its acquisition of Union Financial Corporation, Albuquerque, New Mexico, and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Union Savings Bank.
Among the most recent banks to receive Treasury funding through the CPP is the United Labor Bank, which provides cash management services to unions, multi-family lending and small commercial real estate loans throughout California.
Investigations by tax authorities found that Tokyo-based Chuo Labor Bank and 20 other rokin banks nationwide had received kickbacks from an industry organization to which they had paid padded membership dues.
Also known as the Labor Bank Building, 26 Journal Square is currently approximately 99 percent leased with a diverse base of tenants from the legal profession, healthcare staffing, financial services and other fields.
The 3.89 billion yen includes 2 billion yen reportedly borrowed from a labor bank to invest in a golf links development project in Saitama Prefecture in 1994 by then union head Morishige Goto, the officials said.