Lagan


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Wikipedia.

Lagan

(lăg`ən), river, c.40 mi (60 km) long, rising in Slieve Croob, SE Northern Ireland. It flows NW, then NE past Lisburn to Belfast Lough at Belfast. The port of Belfast and its shipbuilding yards are located at the mouth of the Lagan; a canal joins the river to Lough Neagh.

lagan

[′lag·ən]
(engineering)
A heavy object thrown overboard and buoyed to mark its location for future recovery.
References in periodicals archive ?
Buffalo also leverages its Kana Lagan system as the basis for its CitiStat accountability program, whereby department heads regularly review key performance metrics with senior administration officials to ensure compliance with accountability, productivity, and efficiency goals.
Lagan Express provides a complete suite of integrated multi-channel contact and knowledge management capabilities, ideally suited to public sector organizations looking to deliver significant improvements in customer service quality, accuracy and response times.
Viridor anticipates that more than 300 construction jobs will be available once the build programme is under way and has agreed with Lagan that local skills will be utilised where at all possible.
Lagan was acquired in a joint venture with the Government of India by MREL in 2000 via a disinvestment.
But the local businesspeople felt that the town was being held back by the Lagan, with its shallow stretches and unnavigable bends, and decided to construct a canal that could deliver goods from Ireland's interior to the Belfast docks and thence to Europe and the new colonies of North America.
The Tennessee Department of Human Services is deploying Lagan Human Services to allow its APS case workers to provide prompt and effective support to one of the state's most vulnerable social groups.
Elsewhere, in the province, construction work on a drinking water supply project costing $130,000 was launched in Karta Lagan area on Sunday.
Vanessa Millward, area director at selling agent Connells, said: "Under the scheme purchasers can pay just 75 per cent of the agreed price and Lagan will lend them the remaining 25 per cent with no rent or interest payable for up to 10 years or when the home is sold, whichever is sooner.
In addition, telephony records are automatically logged in the Lagan system, providing a full picture of operational activity and enabling management to make informed decisions about the best allocation of skills and resources, the company said.
Liverpool ferry Lagan Viking shortly after 2am yesterday.
The service will be given a second boost In November, when the Mersey Viking, a sister ferry to the new Lagan Viking, arrives in the Mersey.