Lagodekhi Preserve

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Lagodekhi Preserve

 

a preserve located in the Georgian SSR, in spurs of the southern slopes of the Main Caucasus Range, near the city of Lagodekhi. Area, 13,300 hectares. It was established in 1912. Natural complexes of oak and hornbeam forests (with an admixture of beech, chestnut, ash, elm, linden, and maple) and beech forests, subalpine sparse forests, and alpine meadows are being protected. More than 1,500 species of flowering plants are known here. The ornamental endemics, including Primula Juliae Kusn, Paeonia Mlokosewitschii, Lagodekhi gentian, and columbine are especially interesting. Among the animals that inhabit the preserve are Caucasian deer (Cervus elaphus maral Ogilby), roe deer, chamois, Caucasian tur, boar, lynx, pine and stone marten, snowcock, and Caucasian blackcock. There are waterfalls, one of which is 100 m high. In the alpine zone there is a group of lakes. A museum of the flora and fauna and a high-altitude meteorological station have been established.

REFERENCE

Zapovedniki Sovetskogo Soiuza. Moscow, 1969.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.