Land Surveying Institute

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Land Surveying Institute

 

one of the oldest educational institutions in Russia, founded in 1779 as a surveying school attached to the Land Survey Office in Moscow. In 1819 it was named the Konstantin Surveying School in honor of Grand Duke Konstantin Pavlovich, and in 1835 it was renamed the Konstantin Land Surveying Institute. At first it was a secondary boarding school, and in 1845 it became an institution of higher learning. In the late 19th century the institute had four general educational courses, two land surveying courses, and two engineering courses. In 1919 the institute was renamed the Moscow Land Surveying Institute. In 1930 the departments of the Land Surveying Institute were the basis for the establishment of the Moscow Institute of Engineers of Land Allocation and the Moscow Geodetic Institute (which in 1936 was renamed the Moscow Institute of Engineers of Geodesy, Aerial Photography, and Cartography).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.