Landshut


Also found in: Dictionary, Acronyms, Wikipedia.

Landshut

(länts`ho͞ot), city (1994 pop. 59,640), Bavaria, SE Germany, on the Isar River. Once the capital of Lower Bavaria, it is now a transportation and industrial center. Manufactures include textiles, furniture, beer, chocolate, tobacco, and chemicals. A large influx of more than 12,000 refugees after World War II sparked new industries such as electrotechnics and machine-building. Founded in 1204, Landshut became the residence of the dukes of Bavaria-Landshut in 1255. The city suffered heavily in the Thirty Years War (1618–48). From 1802 to 1826 it was the seat of the Bavarian university (now at Munich). A 13th-century castle, Burg Trausnitz, overlooks the city. St. Martin's Church (1389) has one of the world's highest brick steeples (436 ft/133m).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Landshut

 

a city in Bavaria on the Isar River, in the Federal Republic of Germany. Population, 52,000 (1971). It is a transportation junction. The city is noted for its chemical, electrical engineering, and electronics industries. A hydroelectric power plant is located nearby, and a large atomic power plant is under construction (1973).

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.

Landshut

a city in SE Germany, in Bavaria: Trausnitz castle (13th century); manufacturing centre for machinery and chemicals. Pop.: 60 282 (2003 est.)
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005