Langbard, Iosif Grigor’evich
Born Jan. 6 (18), 1882, in Bel’sk, Grodno Province, present-day Bielsk Podlaski, Poland; died Jan. 3, 1951, in Leningrad. Soviet architect. Honored Art Worker of the BSSR (1934). Doctor of architecture (1939).
Langbard studied at the St. Petersburg Academy of Arts from 1907 to 1914. He taught at the Academy of Arts in Leningrad from 1935 to 1950, becoming a professor in 1939. He was the architect of such structures as the Government Building of the BSSR (1930–33), the Officers’ House (1934–39), the Byelorussian Theater of Opera and Ballet (1935–38), and the Main Building of the Academy of Sciences of the BSSR (1935–39)—all in Minsk, as well as the House of Soviets in Mogilev (1938–39). Langbard was awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor.