a Lower Paleolithic site in the valley of the Prone Metekhskaia River, a tributary of the Kura, located near the city of Tskhinvali in the Iuzhnaia Osetiia Autonomous Oblast, Georgian SSR.
The site was discovered in 1951 and investigated between 1951 and 1958 by the Soviet archaeologist V. P. Liubin. The principal finds date from the middle Acheulean culture. More than 200 primitive stone articles made of andesite, flint, and other rocks were discovered in an ancient pebble bed. All were severely weathered and covered with a thick patina. The objects included more than 20 coups de poing, crude chopping tools, scrapers, flakes, and nuclei (cores).