Lee(redirected from Laurie Lee)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. by the lee Nautical so that the wind is blowing on the wrong side of the sail
2. under the lee Nautical towards the lee
3. Nautical on, at, or towards the side or part away from the wind
1. Ang . born 1954, Taiwanese film director; his films include Sense and Sensibility (1995), The Ice Storm (1997), and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000)
2. Bruce, original name Lee Yuen Kam. 1940--73, US film actor and kung fu expert who starred in such films as Enter the Dragon (1973)
3. Gypsy Rose, original name Rose Louise Hovick. 1914--70, US striptease and burlesque artiste, who appeared in the Ziegfeld Follies (1936) and in films
4. Laurie . 1914--97, British poet and writer, best known for the autobiographical Cider with Rosie (1959)
5. Richard Henry. 1732--94, American Revolutionary statesman, who moved the resolution in favour of American independence (1776)
6. Robert E(dward). 1807--70, American general; commander-in- chief of the Confederate armies in the Civil War
7. Spike, real name Shelton Jackson Lee. born 1957, US film director: his films include She's Gotta Have It (1985), Malcolm X (1992), and 25th Hour (2002)
8. T(sung)-D(ao) . born 1926, US physicist, born in China. With Yang he disproved the principle that that parity is always conserved and shared the Nobel prize for physics in 1957
a river in SW Republic of Ireland, flowing east into Cork Harbour. Length: about 80 km (50 miles)
(science and technology)
The side of an object, such as an island or a ship, away from the direction in which the wind is coming, and sheltered from wind or waves.