Also found in: Wikipedia.
an antarctic scientific station of the USSR, which operated from Mar. 10, 1959, to Feb. 26, 1961, on the Lazarev Ice Shelf (Princess Astrid Coast, Eastern Antarctica) at 69°58’ S lat. and 12°55’ E long. Observations conducted dealt with meteorology, aerology, actinometry, terrestrial magnetism, and aurora australis, as well as with glaciology, geomorphology, and oceanography. The station served as a base for traverse route investigations (aerial and terrestrial) of the geology and geography of Queen Maud Land as well as a base for aerial photographic surveys of the region. Since Feb. 18, 1961, scientific observations have been continued at the Novolazarevskaia station, located 80 km south of Lazarev. The station was named after M. P. Lazarev.
(Lazarian), a family of the dvorianstvo (nobility or gentry) that played a significant role in the history of the Armenian liberation movement of the second half of the 18th century and first half of the 19th and in the incorporation of Eastern Armenia with Russia.
The Lazarev genealogy in Russia began with Lazar’ Nazarovich Lazarev, who moved in 1747 from Isfahan (Iran), where he and his forefathers had held high government posts. Possessing a huge fortune, the Lazarevs bought and built manufactories in various provinces and engaged in silk and paper production. After receiving the rights of the hereditary Russian dvorianstvoin 1774, the Lazarevs increased their land holdings, purchasing much of the Stroganovs’ estates in Perm’, mining complexes, and salt mines.
The most outstanding of Lazar’ Lazarev’s sons was the oldest, Ovanes (Ivan, 1735–1801), an important state figure close to the Russian court, who played a prominent role in the development and strengthening of friendly relations between the Armenian and Russian peoples. He aided thousands of Armenians in settling in Russia and helped found the cities of Grigoriopol’ and Novyi Nakhichevan’. In 1815, Lazar’ Lazarev’s second son, Ekim, founded a school for young Armenians and Russians in Moscow; subsequently it was turned into the Lazarev Institute of Oriental Languages.
In 1871 the last of the male representatives of the Lazarev clan, Khristofor Ekimovich (1789–1871), died, and by a special ukase the Lazarev name was transferred (1873) to the husband of Khristofor Ekimovich’s daughter, Prince Semen Davydovich Abamelek. Semen Semenovich Abamelek-Lazarev (1851–1916) was a courtier, a millionaire, a scholar, and the author of a number of works on the economy of Russia and the history of mining. In 1882, in the midst of excavations at Palmyra, he uncovered a Palmyrian inscription in Greek and Aramaic, which was subsequently handed over to the Hermitage. With his death, the Lazarev family came to an end.
REFERENCESDiloian, V. Iz istorii obshchestvenno-politicheskoi deiatel’nosti Lazarevykh (Vtoraia polovina XVIII v.). Yerevan, 1966.
Baziiants, A. P. Lazarevskii institut vostochnykh iazykov (Istoricheskii ocherk). Moscow, 1959.
A. P. BAZIIANTS and N. KH. KHACHATUROV
an urban-type settlement in Nikolaevsk Raion, Khabarovsk Krai, RSFSR. Located on Cape Lazarev. Lazarev is a port on the shore of the Nevel’sk Strait, 729 km northeast of the railroad station of Komsomol’sk-na-Amure. Lazarev has a logging and timber distribution establishment. The cape and settlement are named in honor of M. P. Lazarev.