Lazarev Ice Shelf

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Lazarev Ice Shelf

 

one of the largest ice shelves in Eastern Antarctica. It extends in the form of a huge tongue into the waters of the Atlantic Ocean between 13° and 15.5° E long. Length from south to north, about 80 km. Maximum width, almost 100 km. Area, more than 8,500 sq km. The region has been explored primarily by Soviet explorers. Between 1959 and 1961, the Soviet scientific station of Lazarev operated on the ice shelf. The ice shelf was discovered by a Russian antarctic expedition under F. F. Bellingshausen and M. P. Lazarev in February 1820. It was named after M. P. Lazarev in 1960.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?