Lazarev Institute of Oriental Languages


Also found in: Wikipedia.

Lazarev Institute of Oriental Languages

 

founded in Moscow in 1815 as the private Lazarevs Armenian School, supported by the wealthy Armenian Lazaryan (Lazarev) family. In 1827 the school was officially designated an institute and placed under the supervision of the Ministry of Public Education. However, until 1848 it remained in actuality a Gymnasium offering instruction in Armenian, Persian, Turkish, and Arabic. From 1848 to 1871, it was a lyceum offering instruction in Oriental languages in the upper grades. In addition to preparation for university and training of teachers for Armenian schools, the institute offered training for civil servants and for translators of Oriental languages. For these purposes, the government introduced supplementary government stipends and the program of study was expanded.

According to its 1872 regulations, the institute consisted of two educational institutions: the Gymnasium, and special classes with a three-year course in Arabic, Persian, Turkish, and the history, languages, and culture of Transcaucasia. The institute had its own printshop and published the Emin Ethnographical Anthology (6 issues) and Papers in Oriental Studies (1899–1917).

By a decree of the Council of People’s Commissars of the RSFSR (1919), the institute was renamed the Armenian Institute, then the Southwest Asian Institute, in 1920 the Central Institute of Living Oriental Languages, and in 1921, the Moscow Oriental Institute.

REFERENCES

Baziiants, A. P. Lazarevskii institut vostochnykh iazykov. Moscow, 1959. (Bibliography.)
Baziiants, A. P. Lazarevskii institut v istorii otechestvennogo vostokovedeniia. Moscow, 1973.
Ignatyan, A. Lagharyan chemaran. Yerevan, 1969.

A. P. BAZIIANTS

References in periodicals archive ?
Jakobson, the son of a chemical engineer and leading industrialist, received his education at the excellent Lazarev Institute of Oriental Languages and then in the Moscow University.