a monument of classical Russian architecture built by architect J. Thomas de Thomon during 1805–10 (opened in 1816) on the spit of Vasil’evskii Island.
The structure is in the shape of a peripteros on a high socle surrounded by a Tuscany colonnade. The pediments and the walls are pierced by semicircular windows that light a spacious hall (41.35 x 21.38 m), topped by a semicylindrical caisson arch. The building of the exchange, with the semicircular Neva boardwalk and the rostral columns, is part of the complexes that surround the distinctive water square in the center of the city. The building was used to house the Fund Exchange, but in 1940 it was converted into the Central Navy Museum.