a daily newspaper; the organ of the Leningrad oblast committee and city committee of the CPSU and of the oblast and city soviets of workers’ deputies.
Originally the newspaper was the organ of the Central Committee and the Petrograd committee of the RCP (Bolshevik) and was called Petrogradskaia pravda. The first issue was published on Apr. 2, 1918. On June 21, 1918, the paper became the organ of the Central Committee and the Severnaia oblast and Petrograd committees of the RCP(B), and on Apr. 12, 1919, the organ of the Petrograd committee of the party. It was renamed Leningradskaia pravda on Jan. 30, 1924. In 1957 the newspaper was awarded the Order of Lenin. Circulation, 580,000 (1973).