Leninsk-Kuznetskii

The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Leninsk-Kuznetskii

 

(Kol’chugino until 1925), a city in Kemerovo Oblast, RSFSR, located on both banks of the Inia River (a tributary of the Ob’). It has a railroad station. Population, 128,000 (1972; 20,000 in 1926; 83,000 in 1939). The city is one of the main centers of the Kuznetsk Coal Basin. Coal mining was begun here in the 1870’s, but the output was insignificant. During the years of Soviet power, large mines equipped with the latest machinery were opened. New enterprises have been established, such as the Kuzbasselement Plant, an electric lamp factory, a plant for repairing mining equipment, a plant producing semicoke, and a glue factory; the city is the site of a large worsted cloth combine and building materials and food-processing industries. Leninsk-Kuznetskii has a mining technicum, medical and pedagogical schools, and a museum of local lore.

The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.