the publishing house of the Leningrad oblast committee of the CPSU, one of the oldest Soviet publishing houses. It was established Nov. 29 (Dec. 12), 1917, as the Publishing House of the Petrograd Soviet; it became Lengiz in 1924 and Lenizdat in 1938.
Lenizdat today is a large, multibranch book and newspaper publishing house that puts out mass-audience political books; party history; industrial-technical, scientific-technical, and agricultural books; books of regional lore; sports books; literature; books on the history of factories and mills, kolkhozes, and sovkhozes; and fine-arts products. In 1972 it published 235 books and pamphlets, with a total press run of 10 million copies and a volume of 151.1 million printed quires. Eight oblast and city newspapers (including Leningradskaia pravda, Vechernii Leningrad, and Smena) and more than 100 large-circulation newspapers are published there; eight central newspapers are printed from matrices. In 1972 the publishing house was awarded the Order of the Red Banner of Labor.
D. T. KHRENKOV