, city (1989 pop. 45,020), SE Azerbaijan, near the Iranian border, on the Caspian Sea. It is a port and an important food-processing center for fish and tea. Its inhabitants are mostly Talysh, an Iranian-speaking people who are Shiite Muslims.
..... Click the link for more information. , Azerbaijan.
a city in the Azerbaijan SSR. Located in the Lenkoran’ lowland on the left bank of the Lenkoran’chai River where it flows into the Caspian Sea. A port on the coast of the Caspian Sea and a railroad station on the Osmanly NovyeAstara line. Population, 42,300 (1973).
Lenkoran’ is one of the most ancient cities in Azerbaijan. The date of its founding is unknown. During the 18th century it was the chief city of the Talysh Khanate. During the war between Russia and Iran in 1804–13, Lenkoran’ was destroyed by the Persians, who built a fortress there. The fortress was captured by Russian troops under the command of General P. S. Kotliarevskii in January 1813 after a bitter battle. This victory hastened the conclusion of the Treaty of Gulistan of 1813, by which the Talysh Khanate became part of Russia. In 1846 it became a district capital. Soviet power was firmly established in Lenkoran’ in May 1920.
Lenkoran’ is the center of the second (after Georgia) subtropical region of the USSR. Its food processing industry includes tea factories, fish and vegetable canning plants, and a winery. There is a brickyard, a furniture factory, and a timber combine. Lenkoran’ has an agricultural technicum and teacher training and medical schools. There are local branches of the Azerbaijan Institute of Subtropical Crops and the Scientific Research Institute on Perennial Plants. Lenkoran’ also has an experimental rice-growing station. There is a museum of local lore in the city and a drama theater.