Linz(redirected from Lentia)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Linz(lĭnts), city (1991 pop. 203,044), capital of Upper Austria, NW Austria, a major port on the Danube River. It is a commercial and industrial center and a rail junction. Manufactures include iron and steel, machinery, electrical equipment, glass, furniture, beverages, shoes, rubber, tobacco products, and textiles. Originally a Roman settlement called Lentia, Linz was made a provincial capital of the Holy Roman Empire in the late 15th cent. The city has numerous historic structures, including the Romanesque Church of St. Martin (8th cent.); the baroque old cathedral (17th cent.), where the composer Anton Bruckner was organist (1856–68); the city hall (17th cent.); the baroque bishop's palace (1721–26); and the new neo-Gothic cathedral (19th–20th cent.). The Provincial Museum in Linz contains paintings, folk art, and Roman artifacts.
a city in Austria, on the Danube. The capital of the province of Upper Austria. Population, 205,000 (1971).
Linz is the third largest city in Austria. It is an important transportation junction (the port’s freight turnover was 4.8 million tons in 1972). The country’s largest metallurgical combine is located in Linz, which also has machine-building, electrical-engineering, chemical, textile, and glass industries. A higher school of social and economic sciences and a conservatory are located in Linz.
The old city, with its main square and the main street, the Landstrasse, are located on the right bank of the Danube. Linz’s noteworthy buildings include the Old Cathedral (1669–78), the New Cathedral (neo-Gothic, 1862–1924; architect, V. Statz), and other cathedrals, Baroque churches, and the town hall. Also important are the former imperial palace (about 1600), and the Landhaus (1564–71; rebuilt after 1800). Newer buildings include the Tabakfabrik (1932–36; architects, P. Behrens and A. Popp), the multistory Froschberg-hochhaus (1956; architect, A. Perotti), and the New Gallery of the City of Linz (Wolfgang-Gurlitt Museum).