Also found in: Wikipedia.
a medieval town site in Czechoslovakia, located on the left bank of the Vltava River, 14 km north of Prague. Excavations of 1939–42 and 1947–52 unearthed a system of fortifications and dwellings belonging to different strata of the population. Timber-frame houses were discovered in the center of the site where, as it is supposed, the princely retinue lived beginning in the ninth century. The peasants’ farmsteads were located in a suburb, which was enclosed by a wall in the tenth century. In the ninth century the first church in Bohemia, the Church of St. Clement, was built in Levý Hradec.