Lev Dmitrievich Morozov
Morozov, Lev Dmitrievich
Born Feb. 19 (Mar. 3), 1897, in Novgorod-Severskii; died Sept. 17, 1963, in Moscow. Soviet military and public figure. Member of the CPSU from 1917.
A worker by occupation, Morozov was an active participant in the armed uprising in Kiev in 1917 and a member of the revolutionary committee of the Arsenal Plant in January 1918. In 1918–19 he was a military commissar of the Western Front and of the Lithuanian Division, chairman of a revolutionary tribunal and a member of the Revolutionary Military Council of the Lithuanian-Byelorussian Soviet Republic, and, after directing the defense of Vilnius in May 1919, military commissar of the 35th Division. In 1920, Morozov served as a military commissar of the Right-bank Group of the Thirteenth Army, the Group of Forces of the Kakhovka Base of Operations, and the 51st Division and participated in the storm of Perekop.
After the Civil War of 1918–20, Morozov worked in the People’s Commissariat of Education, on the editorial board of Pravda, in the Moscow Committee and the Central Committee of the ACP (Bolshevik), and in other organizations. He was deputy chief and chief of the Military History Archives from 1934 to 1937 and director of the L. N. Tolstoy and N. G. Chernyshevskii State Museums from 1937 to 1941. In the Great Patriotic War (1941–45) he was chief of the state depository for evacuated museum and library treasures of Moscow. He began receiving a special pension in 1947.