Lev Vladimirovich Bukovskii
Bukovskii, Lev Vladimirovich
Born May 30 (June 12), 1910, in Riga. Soviet sculptor.
Bukovskii studied at the architecture department of the University of Latvia in Riga (1932-35) and at the Academy of Arts in Florence (1938-39). He has executed monuments of austere heroism and expression—for example, monuments dedicated to the Komsomol heroes in Rainis Cemetery (granite, 1954) and to the fighters of the Revolution of 1905 in Matis Cemetery (granite, 1956-59; with architects A. Birzeniek and O. N. Zakamennyi), both in Riga. He is also the creator of the memorial ensemble in honor of the victims of the fascist terror in Salaspils (concrete, 1961-67, for which he won, with its joint creators, a Lenin Prize in 1970). Bukovskii has also done a number of freestanding compositions (for example, In the Virgin Land, 1954-55, and Heroes of the Civil War E. Berg and A. Zhelezniak, 1957—both bronze, Art Museum, Latvian SSR, Riga), as well as portraits. Bukovskii has been awarded the Order of the Badge of Honor.
REFERENCESMoiseeva, S. “Pamiatnik geroiam.” Dekorativnoe iskusstvo SSSR, 1960, no. 4.
Alimov, A. “Memorial’nyi ansambl’ v Salaspilse.” Iskusstvo, 1969, no. 8.