Lipetsk Tractor Plant

Lipetsk Tractor Plant

 

(full name, Twenty-third Congress of the CPSU Lipetsk Tractor Plant; LTZ), an establishment of the tractor manufacturing industry of the USSR in the city of Lipetsk. The plant produces T-40 wheel-type tractor-cultivators and modifications of the T-40 (T-40A and T-40AN), tractors for industrial uses, and spare parts for tractors, as well as consumer goods.

Construction of the plant started in 1943, based on a small factory that existed before the war. On June 1, 1944, the first experimental tractor was assembled. This tractor was named Kirovets-35 (K-35), after the Kirov Works at Leningrad, because before the war this works was developing a tractor of this class. Subsequently production of additional tractor types was started, such as KD-35 diesel tractors of the NATI and LTZ designs, KPD-35 crawler-type tractor-cultivators, and T-40 universal wheel-type tractors with type VTZ air-cooled engines.

The plant is equipped with the latest manufacturing facilities. Punch-press, forging, and mechanical-assembly shops have been constructed. Production lines and semiautomatic and automatic assembly lines are in operation. The plant completed the eighth five-year plan (1966–70) by producing its 500,000th tractor. Tests made in 1970 showed the T-40 wheel-type tractor to be one of the most reliable tractors produced in countries that are members of the council for Mutual Economic Assistance.

Between 1966 and 1970 the T-40A tractor was awarded gold medals at the international exhibitions in Moscow, Leipzig, and Markkleeberg (German Democratic Republic). The plant was awarded the Order of Lenin in 1971.

V. IA. KLIMENKOV

Mentioned in ?