Also found in: Dictionary, Wikipedia.
Lippe,river, c.150 mi (240 km) long, rising in the Teutoburg Forest, W Germany and flowing westward into the Rhine River. It is canalized to permit barge navigation. Water from the Lippe is used in the Ruhr canal system.
Lippe(lĭp`ə), former state, N central Germany, between the Teutoburg Forest and the Weser River. It was incorporated in 1947 into the state of North Rhine–WestphaliaNorth Rhine–Westphalia
, Ger. Nordrhein-Westfalen , state (1994 pop. 17,759,000), 13,111 sq mi (33,957 sq km), W central Germany. Düsseldorf is the capital.
..... Click the link for more information. . Detmold, the former capital, was the chief city. Originally included in the duchy of Saxony, Lippe became (12th cent.) a lordship under Bernhard I (1113–44). In 1529 it was raised to a county; from the various divisions of the county after the death (1613) of Simon VI, two counties emerged—Lippe, or Lippe-Detmold, and Schaumburg-LippeSchaumburg-Lippe
, former state, N Germany, E of the Weser River. In 1946 it was placed in Lower Saxony. Bückeburg was the capital. It was situated in a fertile agricultural region.
..... Click the link for more information. . Lippe became a principality in 1720 and in 1815 joined the German Confederation. It sided with Prussia in the Austro-Prussian War (1866) and joined the German Empire in 1871. In 1918, Lippe joined the Weimar Republic. A local electoral victory (Jan., 1933) of the National Socialists in Lippe helped Adolf Hitler into power.
a river in the Federal Republic of Germany; a right tributary of the Rhine. Length, 225 km. It rises in the southwestern slopes of the Teutoburger Wald and flows along a hilly plain. Its principal tributary is the Stewer River. Below the city of Hamm, the Lippe is paralleled by a navigable canal (107 km long), which is an important transportation route for the northern part of the Ruhr basin. Canals unite the Lippe with the Ems and Ruhr rivers. The cities of Lippstadt, Hamm, Lünen, and Dorsten lie on the river. The city of Wesel is located at the mouth of the Lippe.