Lithuanian Agricultural Academy

Lithuanian Agricultural Academy

 

an institution of higher learning; founded in 1924 from the agricultural technicum in the city of Dotnuva. In 1947 it moved to Kaunas and in 1964 to an experimental farm in Noreikiskés (near Kaunas).

In 1973 the academy had departments of agronomy, economics, mechanization of agriculture, water and land management, forestry, and advanced training of specialists in agriculture and social professions; a correspondence department; a graduate school; 41 subdepartments; four sectorial laboratories; an experimental farm; an arboretum; and a museum. There are more than 600,000 volumes in the library. In the 1972–73 academic year the academy had 5,500 students and 320 instructors, including 15 professors and doctors of science and 186 lecturers and masters of science. The academy accepts doctoral and master’s dissertations for defense. It has published Nauchnye trudy (Transactions) since 1953. Since its founding the academy has prepared about 10,000 specialists in agriculture and forestry.

Full browser ?