Lõhavere(redirected from Lohavere)
(called Leole in Heinrich von Lettland’s Livonian Chronicle), the ruins of a castle 25 km north of Viljandi in the Estonian SSR. Lohavere was an important stronghold of the medieval Estonians in their struggle against the German invaders. Built in the early 13th century, it was burned by the Crusaders in 1224. Excavations in 1937-41 and 1956-62 uncovered the remains of stockades, frame defensive structures, houses, and wells. Weapons, ornaments, and household objects were also found.