Also found in: Wikipedia.
a district in Bulgaria within the Danubian Plain and, partially, in the Stara Planina. Area, 4,100 sq km. Population, 223,000 (1970). Administrative center, Lovech.
Lovech District is an industrial and agrarian region with developed machine building—electric motors, lathes, woodworking and lumbering equipment, automobiles, motorcycles, and bicycles. The woodworking, timber, pharmaceutical, and cement industries are also important. Lovech and Troian are the district’s main industrial centers. It is known for commercial fruit growing; other important crops are potatoes, grains, and grapes. Cattle are raised. Lovech District is a tourist region.
a city in northern Bulgaria on the Osum River, a tributary of the Danube. Located 35 km southeast of Pleven in a forest area at the foot of the Stara Planina (Balkan Mountains). The administrative center of Lovech District. Population, 45,000 (1971).
Lovech is the commercial center of an agricultural region. Industries include motor vehicles, electrical engineering, leather and fur, and food (flour and other products).
During the Russo-Turkish War of 1877–78 a Russian cossack detachment seized Lovech with a surprise attack on July 5 (17), 1877; on July 14 (26) pressure from superior enemy forces forced them to abandon it. In occupying Lovech, the Turks positioned 8,000 men under General Rifat Pasha throughout the city and on its approaches. The Russian high command decided to retake Lovech in order to secure the flanks of the Russian forces outside of Pleven and in Shipka. General Prince A. K. Imeretinskii’s force (27,000 men, 98 field guns) was assigned to take the city. On Aug. 22 (Sept. 3), 1877, columns led by General M. D. Skobelev and General V. M. Dobrovol’skii, after a stubborn battle, captured Lovech, thereby cutting off enemy paths of retreat south of Pleven.