Also found in: Wikipedia.
a city and the administrative center of the Lubny Raion, Poltava Oblast, Ukrainian SSR. It is a landing on the Sula River, a tributary of the Dnieper, and a railroad station on the Kiev-Poltava line. Population, 45,000 (1972).
Lubny first appears in the chronicles under the year 1107 in connection with a victory of the Kiev princes over the Polovtsy. In the late 16th century, it came into the possession of the Vishnevetskii Princes. After B. Khmel’nitskii’s uprising it was controlled by the cossacks, first becoming part of Mirgorod Polk (c. 1648) and later, from 1658 to 1781, the administrative center of Lubny Polk. The city’s inhabitants took part in the antifeudal uprisings in 1658 and 1687 and in the struggle against the Swedish invaders in 1708-09. In the early 18th century a botanical garden was established here. In 1782 it became the center of a district in the Kiev Namestnichestvo (vicegerency), in 1793 of Malorossiiskaia Province, and in 1802 of Poltava Province.
In early 1918, Soviet rule was established in Lubny. The city was subsequently seized by German and Austrian forces, but they were driven out in February 1919. During the Great Patriotic War of 1941-45, Lubny was captured by fascist German troops, against whom the partisans conducted successful operations along the Kiev-Lubny railroad. On Sept. 18, 1943, the city was liberated by the Soviet Army.
Lubny produces machine tools, machinery, calculating machines, pharmaceuticals, timber-cutting machinery, ceramics and reinforced-concrete products. It also has a motor-vehicle repair shop, a furniture combine, and food enterprises (a meatpacking plant, bakery, winery, and creamery). Light industry is represented by clothing and felt blanket factories. It is the site of a forestry technicum, an agricultural technicum specializing in bookkeeping, a medical school, and a museum of local lore.