Also found in: Acronyms, Wikipedia.
a city in Leningrad Oblast, RSFSR, on the Luga River. Railroad station on the Leningrad-Pskov line, 137 km south of Leningrad. Population, 32,000 (1970). An abrasives factory, a mechanized foundry, a knitwear plant, and the Luzhskii Khimik plant are located in the city. A plant that manufactures albuminous casings for sausage is located nearby. Luga was founded in 1777.
REFERENCEZertsalov, V. Luga. Leningrad, 1972.
a river in Novgorod and Leningrad oblasts, RSFSR. Length, 353 km; basin area, 13,200 sq km. It rises in the Tesovo Marshes and empties into Luga Bay of the Gulf of Finland. During high water, the Luga’s waters pass through the Rossona channel and empty into the mouth of the Narva River. Fed mainly by snow, the river’s average discharge 60 km from the mouth is 93 cu m per sec. The Luga freezes in early December, and the ice breaks up in early April. The tributary on the right is the Oredezh. The river is navigable in some places (173 km). The Kingisepp Hydroelectric Power plant and the cities of Luga and Kingisepp are on the Luga.